Thursday, October 16, 2008

Windows media player 11 cannot play the movie - codec missing ??

Couple of weeks back I got the movie "Death Race" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452608/ ) from one of my co employees( Savindu ).

Since I was busy with the project work I thought of watching it after the release.
Just after the release I got my new laptop with Windows Vista installed and was working with setting up my development environment in it.So further delays of watching the movie.

After that I wanted to watch that movie and I opened it with the Windows Media Player in my new laptop.

To my amazement I could only hear the sounds but no visuals. I was scratching my hair and thinking what could be the reason for it.

Then I realized that one of the codec is missing and needed to install the codec.Then I start Googling and search for codecs for Media player in Vista.Non found which relates to Windows Vista in Microsfot sites.

Then I forget about searching for codecs and installed Real Audio player 10 Gold and tried to play the movie(.avi) file.

Bad to worst, got the same error and luckily it mentioned about the component that could be missing in order to play this file which is "ICM.XVID".

Then I Googled with that name and found the following link http://www.divxmovies.com/software/

Then I downloaded the XviD codec v1.1.3 and installed it.
Official site : http://www.divx.com/

Bingo here we go , at last I can see visuals and sooner than later I am going to watch the movie.

But my worry is why Microsoft cannot ship Windows Vista with all the codecs OR at least make avilable those codecs in their support sites.

This is rediculous.......

No comments: