Sunday, November 15, 2009

Antique world map jig saw puzzle


Recently I completed assembling the 1500 pieces jig saw puzzle.Before this my first puzzle was a 500 pieces one.It was a gift from my good old friend Amila Jayaratne and this one was presented by my father-in-law, Mr. Gunatilake.
This new puzzle by no means a easy walk in the park as you can see in the image above.
Normally you start the puzzle by separating the border pieces.So I too stuck to that but to no avail.The reason being there are no contrasting images to identify the correct pieces(Its just a single color boarder ss you can see in the image ).Then I was thinking how I am going to tackle this new challenge.So I changed my strategy.

Since there are clear lines , circles and letters , I started to separate them out.That was indeed the way to go.Then I first assemble the circle area.
After that it became relatively easy till I getting closer towards the border area.It was very hard to find the correct pieces and it took a considerable amount of time too.
After spending around 30 hours within the span of 2 months, finally , I managed to completed this.

My ultimate goal is to complete the world’s largest jig saw puzzle which has 24000 pieces.I have already ordered the miniature version of that which has 3000 pieces.Nishad ayya will bring that for me from UK end of this month.
Waiting for that .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

30 hours for a puzzle? You must be really liking it. But efforts like this might be a good way for us to get out of the 'puzzles' we are in. Being in Norway again for an extended time has forced me to realize (again...) how they enjoy their time out of work. Something that we struggle heavily. Congratulations to you! Hope you'll achieve your goal and still have time to put it down in the blog so we can join in to celebrate!

Indika Rathnasekara said...

Thank you very much for the comments Uchitha.Yes, I do really love solving those jig saw puzzles.If you don't like it and if you don't have that patience, you won't be able to complete it.It takes some doing.
I know how many week ends and hours spent after work to achieve this.I should mention my wife's role played here.Because she is the one who look after my daughter and allow me to work on it.Really appreciate her efforts.
As you correctly mentioned , we always struggle to enjoy time out of work.I think only ourselves to blame for that.If you really want to enjoy, there can be so many ways to achieve it and so much time we can find.Food for thought.